Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:23:54 +0300

> From: Lars Brinkhoff <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 07:01:40 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> >> I've pushed a .gitlab-ci.yml file to the branch scratch/tzz/gitlab
> >> John, Eli, any objections?
> >
> > Frankly, I don't understand why this file should be part of the Emacs
> > repository.  For starters, it seems to be Debian-specific.  And if it
> > should be in our repository, its place is definitely wrong, it should
> > be somewhere under admin/.
>
> It's not Debian-specific.  It does mention "debian", but that's only to
> pick one out of many possible images to run the build.

I actually meant the 'apt' commands.  It's true that some other
distributions besides Debian support that, but AFAIK they have their
own commands to the same effects.

> It's probably required to be in the top-level directory to work with
> GitLab-CI.  I haven't checked GitLab specifically, but most continuous
> integration services does have this requirement that the configuration
> file must have a specific name, and must be in the root of the project.
>
> With this file in place, GitLab can now run a full build and test
> cycle for every commit:
>
> https://gitlab.com/emacs-ci/emacs/builds/14381164

OK, but why should the Emacs repository keep this file and maintain
it?  It looks simple enough for the interested users to have it on
their systems, and GitLab looks like a full repository anyway, so
maybe the file should be maintained there?  Or we could have a small
note file in admin/notes telling the interested users to create such a
file if they want.

IOW, this file looks unrelated to Emacs, so I don't think I understand
why Ted wanted us to maintain it.  I'm probably missing something.