Re: Add ruby-mode.el configuration for font-face customization

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Add ruby-mode.el configuration for font-face customization
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 12:57:25 +0300

From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 12:12:33 +0300

Ideally, we'd have a rich common set of font-lock faces that are
consistently applied across all programming modes. And thus consistently
signal syntactic elements in a language-agnostic way (where possible).

I agree, but I thought we already had that.  Those are the
font-lock-variable-name-face, font-lock-constant-face,
font-lock-function-name-face, font-lock-comment-face,
font-lock-string-face, etc.

Ah, indeed. But I've never used any of those. It's the OP who asked for customizable variables.

If that's not what you meant, then please
elaborate.

More standard faces, e.g. for regexps... maybe numbers as well. If we look at "modern" editors, I'm sure there are others we could add.

And then we might need to rethink which faces apply to which tokens. E.g. in ruby-mode we apply font-lock-type-face to both class names and constants (because the former is a subset of the latter), and font-lock-constant-face to :symbols.