Re: Add ruby-mode.el configuration for font-face customization

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add ruby-mode.el configuration for font-face customization
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 16:21:45 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 12:57:25 +0300
>
> > font-lock-variable-name-face, font-lock-constant-face,
> > font-lock-function-name-face, font-lock-comment-face,
> > font-lock-string-face, etc.
>
> Ah, indeed. But I've never used any of those. It's the OP who asked for
> customizable variables.

Well, I guess the OP now has them ;-)

> More standard faces, e.g. for regexps... maybe numbers as well. If we
> look at "modern" editors, I'm sure there are others we could add.

Sure, expanding the set of standard faces is welcome.  We will, of
course, have to go through the existing major modes and add support
for any new faces.

> And then we might need to rethink which faces apply to which tokens.
> E.g. in ruby-mode we apply font-lock-type-face to both class names and
> constants (because the former is a subset of the latter), and
> font-lock-constant-face to :symbols.

Right, this can be done whenever the users of the mode think they have
a better proposal than what we currently use.

Thanks.