Re: lisp/term/ns-win.el modification

From: Anders Lindgren
Subject: Re: lisp/term/ns-win.el modification
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 07:36:51 +0200

Hi!

Regarding subr-x, maybe it would be good to modify it so that it trims non-breakable spaces too. Also, not using it is a guaranty that it will stay experimental forever...

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. You can supply a feature request for that, this thread is not the right place for it, as most people ignore NS-related discussions.

What is the condition to move something from experimental to "production" ?

No idea, really. As far as I know "subr-x.el" is the only file with that status.

Also, there is another reason why I'am reluctant to use it. If ns-win.el requires it, packages written on a mac may use functions from it without realising it. Those packages would fail when used on other platforms.  (The fix is easy, just add a `(require surb-x)', but it's easy to overlook it.)

Thank you again for the comments, hopefully the third version will be the good one !

We're not in a hurry. It's quite normal for a patch to go through a number of iterations. It's better to make sure a patch is in a good state before applying it than to fix problems afterwards.

Before a patch is accepted, you have to assign copyright of it (or, preferably, all your work on Emacs) to FSF. If you haven't done so yet, you can ask for papers to sign from address@hidden and ask for papers to assign copyright. First you they will ask a few basic questions, then they will send you papers to sign and mail and fax, if I remember correctly.

    -- Anders