Re: Should records be able to mimic primitive types?

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Should records be able to mimic primitive types?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 11:35:40 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> schrieb am Sa., 8. Apr. 2017 um 19:58 Uhr:
> It's not trying hard, just a simple check for a known, small, and
> rarely-changing list of primitive symbols.

To me, that's working very hard:
- extra code.

Only a tiny bit.

- extra maintenance

Negligible, because we rarely add new primitive types. A comment should be added to Ftype_of to also modify a static list of primitive types when adding a new type, but that should be it.

- extra run-time checks.

Minor concern. Emacs Lisp isn't C; we prefer to help the user over saving a couple of clock cycles.

- no benefit since this doesn't catch a common situation.

Catching uncommon situation is precisely the point of precondition checking.