Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 11:54:26 -0400

  > > To use a commercial service for this would be SaaSS, even
  > > if it is running _the exact same program_

  > We can call it SaaS, which is the industry-standard term.

It's a standard term for a different meaning, a meaning that right for
this point.  That is why I stopped using it.

SaaSS, which stands for Service as a Software Substitute, refers to a
specific kind of situation which raises a specific issue, described in
https://gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html.

SaaS, or Software as a Service, includes SaaSS and other things too.
I don't have a clear picture of how far that territory goes, so I
don't want to state a judgment of all kinds of SaaS.

  > > SaaSS is not a question of which programs are running on the server.
  > > We can't verify which programs are running on anyone else's server.
  > > We can't change them either, even if they are free software.

  > That's also true, for many users, of the GNU hosted installation of
  > Hydra. And it will remain true, for most Emacs developers and users, of
  > the GitLab installation on the FSF premises, when it's set up.

This server will not be SaaSS because it will be used by the GNU
Project (specifically, GNU Emacs) and run by the GNU Project.

If individual users used it for CI for their own non-GNU projects,
that would be SaaSS.

--
Dr Richard Stallman