Re: Enabling --enable-check-lisp-object-type by default on x86 and AMD64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Enabling --enable-check-lisp-object-type by default on x86 and AMD64
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 17:48:34 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 20:24:18 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > One difficulty this adds in developing is that backtraces are much
> > less readable, as Lisp_Object values are not shown.
>
> Do you mean the C backtrace?

Yes.

> Would it help to add a line "set print frame-arguments all" to
> src/.gdbinit?

Only partially.  People who report backtraces seldom bother to start
GDB from the Emacs's src directory, let alone source .gdbinit by hand.
Moreover, latest versions of GDB refuse to auto-load .gdbinit files
from random directories, unless you put some magic in your ~/.gdbinit
(which most people don't).  Finally, this setting doesn't affect only
Lisp_Object, it affects any non-scalar arguments, so it has
non-trivial downsides of its own (which I guess is why it is not the
default).