Re: Overlays as an AA-tree

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Overlays as an AA-tree
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 20:54:32 -0400

On 2017-05-03 15:20, Andreas Politz wrote:
> I stopped working on this, since it wasn't clear where this will be
> going (among other things).  But I'm willing to pick it up again.
> Following is a fairly concise status-report.

That would be wonderful.  Overlay performance is a recurring issue in Flycheck
and PG.
I will try to run your branch and benchmark it with Flycheck, but I remember
seeing great results.

> I think it would be advantageous to represent overlays with identical
> start values as a single node by utilizing a linked list.  This would
> improve performance in some degenerate cases (from a tree's
> perspective), by combining the best aspects of the (current) list and
> tree approaches.

Could this comment be included in Emacs' TODO list? This sounds like a nice
potential improvement over your current implementation, but it doesn't sound
like its absence should prevent a merge.

Thanks for working on this!
Clément.