Re: Characters saved mismatch?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Characters saved mismatch?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 10:07:39 -0400

>> As written about emacs sees the newline as just 1 character.
> But all this is confusing when the end line is utf-8-dos...

What's confusing about it?  The line separator is a character, just like
the non-breaking space is a character.  The coding system then encodes
those as some number of bytes, typically 1 or 2 (e.g. using utf-8-dos,
they will both use up 2 bytes, IIRC, whereas with latin-1-unix they'd
both use up a single byte, and of course you get other combinations
with latin-1-dos and utf-8-unix, and I'll let you check what can happen
with things like iso-2022-7bit).

        Stefan