Re: Trimming strings, /emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/subr-x.el modification

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Trimming strings, /emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/subr-x.el modification
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 08:03:55 +0900

> On May 10, 2017, at 1:21, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> How about if we proceed with the change in string-trim, and file a
>>> separate bug against both it and split-string, for such regexps?
>>> These seem to be largely unrelated issues, and it's a pity to block
>>> Jean-Christophe's changes due to that.
>>
>> Ok, so we agree that we don't add \\( \\) to the regexp and that we expect
>> the caller to send a correct regexp as is the case for split-string, is that
>> correct ?
>
> _I_ obviously agree, and so do you, but I'd like to hear from others as well.

Johan, Stephan what's your take on this?

Since what I propose is consistant with the existing code, not agreeing with
that means *first* finding the bug that Johan mentioned (which is not directly
related to my modification), starting a review process of the whole code base
that uses subr.el/split-string (and maybe other places where that regexp bug
happens), fixing the code to ensure some kind of backward compatibility, etc.
and *then* applying my change to subr-x...

While we could first change subr-x (string-trim...) so that they behave
similarly to split-string and then start the bug hunting...

Jean-Christophe