nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 12:35:09 +0200

Hey everyone.

One thing I find unintuitive about nxml-mode is how it derives from text-mode.

The reason this surprises me is that when I edit XML-files, I almost exclusively (to the point of not being able to remember an exception) am working with programming-related tasks.

Therefore I expect my prog-mode-hook to have fired, and my prog-mode settings and key-bindings to be in effect (compile, projectile-navigation, commenting/uncommenting, etc etc).

But no. I have my text-mode settings instead (spell-checking, etc), which often conflict with what I want to get done.

Could we consider changing nxml-mode to derive from prog-mode instead?

While it can be considered a "breaking"-change, I think this would make much more sense. And such a change is not entirely unprecedented either: css-mode made the same transistion back in 2015. [1]

I can provide the patch for it, but first I thought I'd first check what people's opinion on such a change would be.

[1] https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/commit/f21d9b6e4461719cece6ad4adc85ea84ddc5a4e0

--
Yours truly
Jostein Kjønigsen