Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 08:49:01 -0400

> Sorry, I did not know that Emacs would return pages rarely. I figured it
> would be somewhat common, if you have multiple, dead GBs of heap laying
> around (as in the linked reddit post). Such a thing seems like a token
> that you should give some of that back to the OS.

If it's a single 1GB chunk, it'll most likely be returned (tho there are
unlucky build-configurations where that might happen, and I believe such
situation has unwittingly been in common use for Emacs-25.1 under
GNU/Linux, IIUC).

In the reddit thread, the 1.5GB is completely unexplained, so it's hard
to say anything intelligent about it.

        Stefan