Re: nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 19:59:13 +0200

From: Jostein Kjønigsen <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 12:35:09 +0200

Could we consider changing nxml-mode to derive from prog-mode instead?

What user-visible changes do you expect to see as result of this?

In short: always  have my "programming-setup" available when I do programming.

I think is is best illustrated with an example:

In prog-mode I have F5 bound to the recompile-command, and the compile command set via .dir-locals.el. That means in any "project" I work with, I can always press F5 to build and see that everything works. It's a good workflow.

I also rely on projectile for file-navigation, which is also enabled in the prog-mode-hook.

Now consider I press F5 to start building and see that something fails to due invalid data in a XML-file. I'll need to edit XML.

I use projectile to switch to the "bad" XML-file, and correct the settings.  I have spell-checking everywhere telling me my XML-elements are not valid English words. I disable flyspell (which I have for text-mode).

By reflex I press F5 to build. It doesn't. Because my prog-mode hook was not run.

A little bit annoyed, I try to switch back to a source-file to build from (by reflex using projectile). I press "C-c p f". But there is no projectile. Because my prog-mode hook never ran, thus projectile is not on.

Yes, I know there are workarounds. Like redundantly binding the same keys many places, or to manually run prog-mode from the nxml-mode hook, and then cancel out whatever I set in text-mode.

I just honestly think it makes infinitely more sense to have nxml-mode just invoke prog-mode directly.

To put it the other way way: What's the argument for nxml-mode predominantly invoking text-mode-hooks?

--
Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen