Re: nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 09:29:59 +0200

On Wed, May 10, 2017, at 08:59 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
These seem all to stem from your personal setup, not from inherent
features of prog-mode that are absent from text-mode.  In fact,
prog-mode is exceedingly minimal: it only sets 3 variables, none of
them related to what you describe.

Obviously.

But prog-mode represents a API, a endpoint, for end-users and developers to wire up anything and any customization they deem programming-related.

With prog-mode API-wise being a "success", shouldn't Emacs core honour that API by using it where appropriate? That would IMO be the consistent thing to do.

That Emacs ships with only 3 such customizations out of the box seems to me irellevant.

I could understand an argument that nowadays XML and even HTML deviate
a lot from text with markup, but I don't see how prog-mode would be
more appropriate.  I tend to think that we should come up with a new
family of modes, which specifically caters to the likes of XML-based
coding.

Something like structured-text-mode ?  Which for instance nxml-mode, json-mode, yaml-mode (etc etc) could derive from.

That could be another approach, and I'd be happy with that, if done properly.

--
Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen