RE: ctl-x-map key binding conventions for new major/minor modes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ctl-x-map key binding conventions for new major/minor modes
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 22:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

> (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions")
> Do we need a recommendation in this node about bindings with
> prefix 'C-x'?  There is no guidance in the node above about
> this topic.  Just loading a new mode shouldn't shadow some
> previous C-x bindings, right?
>
> For instance,
> * timeclock.el suggests some C-x bindings in the comentary, that is,
>    it doesn't define these bindings by default.
> * dired-x.el has the user option `dired-bind-jump' to control if
>    `dired-jump' must be bound or not to 'C-x C-j'.
> * find-func.el has the autoloaded function `find-function-setup-keys',
>    which binds some commands into `ctl-x-map'.

Are you asking whether code that is distributed with Emacs
should bind keys with prefix `C-x'?  That's usually discussed
and decided case by case, e.g. on this list.

Are you asking whether we should make particular recommendations
in this regard for 3rd-party code?  If so, I think not.

just by loading it then that should at least be made clear in the
library doc/commentary.  A user can always override any bindings
that might be made by a library, but s?he should be aware of what
happens when the library is loaded or a mode is turned on.

Have you noticed an actual problem in this regard?