Re: Proposal: new mode-line `%'-construct %o meaning "Degree of travel o

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal: new mode-line `%'-construct %o meaning "Degree of travel of window through buffer".
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 05:47:20 +0300

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 21:15:46 -0400
>
> On 2017-05-15 20:38, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> > On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> Numerically, "%p" is 100 * a / (a + W + b).
> >>
> >> "%o" is 100 * a / (a + b).
> >
> > Yeah, that makes much more sense, a percentage should range from %0 to
> > %100, and %p's formula doesn't. I think I've dealt with this mostly by
> > ignoring the number and looking at the scrollbar instead. With this
> > patch, I might actually be able to rely on the number.
>
> I agree. But in that case, wouldn't it be better to change the default, too?

Not right away, no.  We should provide a defcustom that would use the
new method, and make it off by default.  Then we should consider
making that the default in some future version.

Just because a few people here like the idea (most probably without
even using it, with the exception of Alan), it doesn't mean the
traditional method can go out the window.  We should be more cautious
about such decisions.