Re: A programming puzzle with buffer-local hooks

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: A programming puzzle with buffer-local hooks
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 15:54:04 -0000

On Thu, May 18, 2017 3:45 pm, Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
> On 2017-05-18 11:16, Phillip Lord wrote:
>
>> Add the hook globally, and then have your hook functions check whether
>> the mode is on or off before they do anything.
>
> I think that's mostly what I meant by "never removing the hook". Am I
> misunderstanding you?

Well, combined with making it global, yes.

I always found developing a minor mode where we add and remove hooks to be
a bit of a pain, because you can easily end up with different buffers have
different state during development. On the other hand, if you have a
single global hook, it's either there or not, just whether it works or not
is dependent only on whether the minor-mode is on or not.

Seems a lot nicer to me.