Re: `window-hscroll' does not report correct value when `text-scale-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `window-hscroll' does not report correct value when `text-scale-mode' is on
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 09:39:18 +0300

> From: 路客 <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 09:10:23 +0800
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> 1. How should we fix `ruler-mode' to make it correct when
> `text-scale-mode' is ON?

I don't think I understand what needs fixing.  Is this question
different from the second one, i.e. if you can compute a suitable
value requested in your second question, is there something else that
needs fixing in ruler-mode?  If so, what else needs fixing?

> 2. When `text-scale-mode' is ON, how can I get the correct
> `window-hscroll' value respect to current text scaling?

I think you can do this:

  (* (/ (window-hscroll) (frame-char-width)) (default-font-width))

I should add that default-font-width can sometimes be expensive, so
don't put the above into some tight loop.