Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 15:09:49 -0700

On 05/24/2017 12:12 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
He most probably wanted to point out that any infrastructure of
this kind should at least consider using gettext, if not actually use
it.

Yes, that was the point. Emacs should be able to internationalize at least as well as gettext does. And basing Emacs i18n on gettext should let us easily share infrastructure with other GNU applications and with the GNU Translation project. There should be no need to reinvent this particular wheel.

On 05/24/2017 01:08 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> between gettexting emacs and now there are plenty of steps, that include straightening up the strings

There is no point to straightening up strings if we don't have a translation infrastructure. In contrast, it would be helpful to have the infrastructure even if some strings still need straightening up, because the other strings will be translated. This suggests that we should focus our initial efforts on getting the infrastructure up, and worry about straightening up strings later. That is why I suggested gettext in response to your question about where we should start.