Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?

From: Etienne Prud’homme
Subject: Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 17:57:06 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Why not do this for every string that 'message' needs to display?

I’m not sure to understand what you refer to every string?

What I mean is something like this:

> (let ((str "Hello %s World!")
>       (arg "you"))
>   (put-text-property 0 (length str) 'l10n 'hello-world str)
>   (message str arg))

Where message would try to fetch the ‘hello-world’ entry from the
translations registry if the configured language is not English.

I might have been wrong that we’re not adding a function call, but it’s
still much simpler (I think) than using a library for that.

I’m thinking of a text-property like ‘face’, but we could call it ‘i10n’
(or ‘l18n’?) or anything more meaningful.

--
Etienne Prud’homme