Re: i18n/l10n summary

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: i18n/l10n summary
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 23:36:01 +0900

> On May 28, 2017, at 23:27, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The discussion so far seems to point at modifying 'message' and
>> the likes so that developers don't have to bother with any l10n
>> mechanism on their part (besides for writing clean strings).
>
> (Caveat: I haven't been following this thread at all, so
> ignore if not helpful.)
>
> Is the idea that something will be done so that, for example,
> `message' automatically uses a translation of the message to
> the user's currently preferred language?  I.e., if that is
> what is planned, isn't it perhaps too systematic - all or
> nothing?

The idea is to have the messages displayed according to the *specified*
language.

How the language is specified has been considered out of the scope of this
discussion, if I'm not wrong. But that's the idea.

Basically, there are 2 possible states:
1) Emacs new install → the language is the OS default
2) User setting within Emacs (allows for normal use and for l10n testing).

Jean-Christophe