Re: Continuous integration

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 13:59:53 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> TZ> I'd like to start collecting evaluation criteria for a CI solution for
> TZ> Emacs developers. We'll evaluate BuildBot, Hydra, and GitLab and any
> TZ> others people feel should be considered. Everyone will have a chance to
> TZ> comment, vote, and contribute. But first we have to agree on what we're
> TZ> evaluating.
>
> There has been some exploration done on GitLab already, I wonder if they have
> some data to share with you?

And buildbot.

> TZ> What features of a CI solution do you consider important that we can rate
> TZ> objectively?
>
> Letting us know when the build fails, which commit caused it to fail, and the
> ability to do this on all the platforms that we care about.
>
> Some of the other features that have been discussed, such as code review and
> pull requests, are nice, but I think not necessary just to have a helpful CI.

Building all branches though, so that pull requests can be build in a
clean environment is important.

Multiplatform (i.e. including windows and mac) builds would be nice.

Local replicability of the environment (via docker or vm) would be good
as well.

Nice GUI. Important, and not to be underestimated.

Phil