Re: html manual +css

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 23:44:04 +0900

>>> In the print version, @smallexample is set in a smaller font size so
>>> that long lines fit. Paper has a ridiculously small line length limit.
>>
>> Right.  (Although the difference between the maximum line lengths in
>> these two is quite small.)  So you cannot simply replace all
>> @smallexample's by @example's, not without reviewing the line length
>> first.
>
> Ok, so I guess the easiest way to deal with that is to add the @smallexample
> class to the CSS then.

Ok, I have something that works, except that I need advice on the licences and
on the whole process.

What I did to get the same CSS as the site is curl the css files. There are 3
of those:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual.css
https://www.gnu.org/style.css
https://www.gnu.org/reset.css

To make things simpler I regrouped them into just one that I put the root of
the /doc directory.

My understanding is that this file must have licence information, but it is
composed of 3 different files, one of which (reset.css) has the following
header:

/*
Copyright (c) 2009, Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Code licensed under the BSD License:
http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt
version: 2.8.0r4
*/

So, what am I to do with the merged file ?

I modified the file so that smallexamples gets the same css as example.

Then, in each Makefile.in I modifier the HTML_OPTS to add the reference to the
CSS data.
HTML_OPTS = --no-split --html --css-include=../manual.css

When I make the doc I get the CSS inside the <style> tag, as expected.

When that is properly implemented and committed, the best would be to have the
gnu site change style.css so that both the online and the offline sets have the
same looks.

Jean-Christophe