Re: nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: nxml-mode: Derive from prog-mode instead of text-mode
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 10:45:20 -0400

> One type of conflict is mode-state: For text-based modes I want to
> flyspell enabled, but for programming-related modes I want it disabled.
>
> Another type of conflict is keybindings: I like to plug in languagetool-
> related functionality on keys consistent with what I typically have in
> programming-modes. That means that targets of these bindings for these
> keys differ in text-mode and prog-mode.

It seems to me that those conflicts aren't a real problem for the
combined text+prog mode: the same problems exist with the current setup
when you want prog-mode and you get text-mode (or vice versa), so using
a combined text+prog mode wouldn't make things really worse.

And I don't think there's a really better solution to this problem: you
currently want A for text-modes and B for prog-modes, so for modes which
sit halfway you're going to have to tweak your ~/.emacs to tell Emacs
which of A or B (or yet something else, maybe) you want, no matter how
we make these halfway modes behave.

        Stefan