Re: init_system_name fqdn?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: init_system_name fqdn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 11:52:06 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
Yes.  I think nowadays, guessing the user-mail-address based on
"username" and "system-name" is just hopeless.  A better basis for the
guess could be ~/.gitconfig.

Yes, perhaps we could default the email address to the output of the command 'git config --get user.email' if the command is successful. This would be a win for my setup, where /etc/hostname contains 'Penguin.CS.UCLA.EDU' (because that's what our local DNS says my machine's name is, and Fedora's setup procedure fills in /etc/hostname from that), but address@hidden does not work as an email address.
If we want "emacs -Q" to get a valid email without prompting you every
time, then we need to store the email somewhere else than ~/.emacs.

Yes, defaulting to .gitconfig would have fixed some of the misconfigured emails I've sent from Emacs over the years, when I mistakenly sent email from emacs -Q.