Re: docstrings and elisp reference

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: docstrings and elisp reference
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 20:14:23 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 16:55:27 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 6/17/17 4:04 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Are we really all that short of manpower?

> That has been my impression. Not for me to decide, though.

My impression is that we have been relatively stable over the last
few/several/many years.  Some old time regulars have dropped out, some
new people (including yourself) have replaced them.

> > For what it's worth, I read the Elisp manual frequently.

> Okay. But do you refer to it more often than to docstrings?

No, I refer to doc strings more often, but I probably spend about the
same amount of time reading doc strings and the manuals.  With Emacs
being so extensive, I can't possibly hold the details of even what I use
every day in my head.  Heck, I even consult the CC Mode manual (which I
largely wrote) to help me adjust my CC Mode configuration.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).