Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 11:42:51 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 05:35:34 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 20:27:02 +0000
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

[ .... ]

> > Also, it's not clear what "relative" line numbers are, though I dare
> > say it would become clear if I actually tried it (and I admit I
> > haven't tried RTFM).  ;-)

> Yes, do try.  (The manual will describe this in more detail.)

I've just tried it.  It works mostly well, except...

1. Enable relative line numbers globally.
2. Visit a file, put it in two or several side by side windows.
3. Start follow-mode.

The relative line numbers are now "global", in that they are relative to
point in the selected window.

4. Do something, such as C-n, which causes a redisplay.

The relative numbers are now "local", in that they are relative to point
in each window.  It is not clear how to recover the "global" relative
line numbers, except by restarting follow-mode.

I think it would be best if the "global" relative line numbers could be
made to work.  If not, it would be better if the "local" line numbers
appeared after M-x follow-mode.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).