Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 18:06:36 +0300

> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 11:42:51 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> 1. Enable relative line numbers globally.
> 2. Visit a file, put it in two or several side by side windows.
> 3. Start follow-mode.
>
> The relative line numbers are now "global", in that they are relative to
> point in the selected window.

That's not what I see.  I guess you see that because you activate
line-number display when both windows had the same value of point.  If
you move point in one of the windows before activating line numbers,
you will see that the relative numbers are local to each window.  This
is by design, and the add-on package relative-line-numbers does the
same.

> 4. Do something, such as C-n, which causes a redisplay.
>
> The relative numbers are now "local", in that they are relative to point
> in each window.

Well, here they are local to begin with.

> I think it would be best if the "global" relative line numbers could be
> made to work.

Given a window whose buffer is in Follow Mode, how do I know what is
the "correct" value of point to use in that window to make the
relative numbers "global"?

> If not, it would be better if the "local" line numbers appeared
> after M-x follow-mode.

Well, they are local here to begin with.  Maybe I didn't understand
your recipe -- can you show it in full detail, with all the commands
you type?