Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 22:44:11 -0400

On 2017-06-18 16:48, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> On 18/06/17 14:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden>
>>> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 13:41:04 -0600
>>>
>>> I though there were am hard veto on the implementation of any new
>>> functionality in C code, because reasons.
>>
>> Evidently, this impression was based on some misunderstanding.  New
>> Emacs features are coded in C all the time, e.g. see the recently
>> added command replace-buffer-contents.
>
> Evidently, I was under the impression that the portable dumper idea was
> rejected mainly on the base that it is coded in C while a possible
> solution exists taht can be implemented in elisp.

That's not how I remember it, at least.  IIUC, the debate was mostly about the
data representation format for the dump file (C code, or ELisp).  The
implementation of the dumper and loader was mostly C in both cases, although in
the ELisp representation the loader was just the (existing) ELisp reader. Did I
misunderstand?

Clément.