org-merger questions

From: Rasmus
Subject: org-merger questions
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:09:06 +0200

Hi,

As discussed, Org urgently needs to be merged into Emacs.  I have started
a scratch branch with v9.0.8, although I haven’t pushed it yet.

So far, I do the following changes from the Org release tarball:

- Necessary white-space cleanup, required by probably some git hook to let
  me commit.  We will have to do this on the Org repo as well.
- Hardcode version in org.texi to remove dependency of "org-version.inc".
- Include org-version.el (normally generated at compile-time)
- Include org-loaddefs.el (normally generated at compile-time)

I have a couple of questions.

* Schemas

ox-odt.el needs to be able to find schemas files.  By default it looks
into <Emacs>/etc/schemas and some folders computed from
‘org-odt-data-dir’, which is normally computed at compile-time.  That is
not so nice, and it anyway doesn’t work with some packaging systems such
as "makepkg".

In principal, I’d be happy to just throw the 3 Org schemas files into
<Emacs>/etc/schemas but it already contain an schemas.xml file.  Does
anyone know if the two schemas files can be merged?  Here’s the two files:

    http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/etc/schema/schemas.xml
    http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/etc/schema/schemas.xml

I could also add a quick "fix" to ox-odt.el to look into
<Emacs>/etc/org/schemas for now.

* Compiling

Org seems to mostly "just work" when compiling without the specific Org
Makefiles.

Achim:
Are there any reasons to think that Emacs-core would need to include the
Org Makefiles assuming org-version.el and org-loaddefs.el is "statically"
included, as currently are for Org 8.3?  The "mk" folder is not included
in Emacs-core now.  I assume there is still no reason to do so.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs