Re: Native display of line numbers, improved

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers, improved
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 16:34:01 +0200

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:03:30 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:23:15 +0200
>>
>> When the buffer ends with a newline and point is on it, no line number
>> is displayed on the left, though with line-number-mode enabled the mode
>> line does display the line number.
>
> By "point is on it", I guess you mean point is at EOB, i.e. beyond the
> last character position?  Because otherwise, I don't think I see what
> you describe.

Yes, I meant at EOB.

> If this is about point at EOB, then this is the intended behavior: the
> "line" where we position cursor in that case doesn't exist, so it
> would be IMO incorrect to count it.

By that reasoning, line-number-mode (the %l construct) should be changed
so as not to display a number when point is at EOB.  Perhaps it should
display "EOB" or "END" instead.

>                                      I'd prefer to leave the code
> simple, without all kinds of subtleties whose sole purpose is to add
> minor aesthetic sugar.

It's not a big deal for sure, though it seems at first sight unintuitive
that if the buffer ends with a sequence of newlines, all but the last
will be numbered (especially when the last one is also numbered in the
mode line).

Steve Berman