Keymap initialization (was: [Emacs-diffs] master 7a2038d: Create a toggl

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Keymap initialization (was: [Emacs-diffs] master 7a2038d: Create a toggle between block and line comments in CC Mode)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:29:56 -0400

>     Create a toggle between block and line comments in CC Mode.
[...]
>     (c-mode-map, c++-mode-map, objc-mode-map, java-mode-map, idl-mode-map)
>     (pike-mode-map, awk-mode-map): Make entries in these key maps each time
>     the mode is loaded rather than just once per Emacs session.

This seems completely unrelated.

>  (defvar pike-mode-map
>    (let ((map (c-make-inherited-keymap)))
> -    ;; Additional bindings.
> -    (define-key map "\C-c\C-e" 'c-macro-expand)
>      map)
>    "Keymap used in pike-mode buffers.")
> +;; Additional bindings.
> +(define-key pike-mode-map "\C-c\C-e" 'c-macro-expand)

This is anti-idiomatic: Emacs's own code has been making the
opposite change over the years in most/all bundled packages.

There are many ways to skin this cat; the two alternatives above have
both advantages and disadvantages, so I think we should agree on one and
stick to it.  Consistency is not Emacs's forte and is not something that
I consider indispensable, but I really don't see why CC-mode's keymaps
need to behave differently from all other major modes.

        Stefan