Re: Native display of line numbers, improved

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers, improved
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:54:30 +0300

> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 21:43:37 -0600
>
> >> 1. An option to never dynamically shrink 'display-line-number-width'
> >>    while still dynamically growing. I dislike having column 0 constantly
> >>    changing, so an option to only grow the width dynamically like in
> >>    (n)linum would be very appreciated.
> >
> > How is growing different from shrinking?  Just wondering.
>
> Growing is necessary in the case where the width of the new line(s)
> exceeds the current 'display-line-number-width'. Of course that can
> be worked around by setting 'display-line-number-width' to a
> sufficiently large number, but I would like it to be no larger than what
> it needs to be for the current text in the buffer.

You could do that by counting lines in the buffer in some suitable
hook, and then setting the value of 'display-line-number-width'
accordingly, right?

My point is that doing what you want requires counting lines in the
entire buffer, something that could take a considerable time.  So
doing that in the display code when people who'd like that could set
that up for them using the existing facilities sounds uneconomical.