Re: Native display of line numbers, improved

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers, improved
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:28:23 -0400

Hi Eli,

I don't understand your comment: Alex is referring here to the approach
used in nlinum, which I chose specifically to avoid having to scan the
whole buffer.

Basically, start with a small value of display-line-number-width, and if
during display we find that this value is too small to fit the largest
displayed line-number, we increase it.  So when you open a very large
buffer (but where only the first 60 lines are displayed), only 2 columns
will be used for line-numbers since "it's been enough so far"; if you
move to line 2000 and back, we'll now be using 4 columns (even though
2 would be sufficient).  This means that column 0 does sometimes change,
but fairly rarely (only when you move to a line number with more digits
than what you've visited so far).

        Stefan