Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0042b7: Make CC Mode load cl-lib rather than c

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0042b7: Make CC Mode load cl-lib rather than cl in Emacs 26.
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:56:46 -0400

> cl-lib doesn't exist in those older Emacsen, neither does it exist in
> XEmacs.  So doing what you suggest isn't a sensible thing to do.

Lots of Emacs packages rely on cl-lib while supporting older Emacsen
as well.  There are trade-offs, admittedly, but calling it "not
sensible" is like me saying that your choice is ridiculous.

My question was specifically to understand which part of the trade-offs
made you choose one option over the other.

>> That would make you free to use any cl-lib functions and macros
>> without having to add matching c--* macros.
> The macros are necessitated by, amongst other things, name changes in
> functions, some of which have had traditionally approved names for
> decades.  (I have a copy of the Lisp Machine Manual from the 1980s to
> back this up.)

Many of your c--* macros are there to choose between the `cl` name or
the `cl-lib` name, and every new macro/function you want to use from
cl/cl-lib will require another one of those macros.

Using cl-lib unconditionally would eliminate this need.

        Stefan