Re: format use inquiry

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: format use inquiry
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 10:56:49 +0900

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 10:57, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> (format "http%s://elpa.gnu.org/packages/"
>>>                                        (if (gnutls-available-p) "s" ""))
>
>> Yes, it is. But obviously I think that, since I wrote it.
>
> I agree it is acceptable, but this looks like something that might be
> needed in a number of places, so perhaps we should make a nicer
> interface to do it.

There is only one instance of such a query in package.el and no other package
in the emacs distribution seems to use gnutls-available-p to add an "s" to http.

Paul suggested that it would be a maintenance hassle to keep 2 almost identical
urls if we spelled them out as Yuri suggested but I checked other source
packages and for ex auth-source-pass-tests.el explicitly spells out all the
urls without resorting to smart formatting to save a few characters.

Also, considering the way %s is abused in other places package.el, for ex in:

 (message "%d package%s marked for upgrading."

        (length upgrades)

        (if (= (length upgrades) 1) "" "s")))))

I don't think it is good to keep the above code because it gives bad incentives
to authors especially if work on i18n/l10n proceeds (even though http/https is
not related to l10n).

So, I'm going to spell out the urls as I proceed with untangling code and
translatable strings in package.el. I'll send a diff here when I'm done for
evaluation.

Jean-Christophe