Re: prin1 / princ vs message ?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: prin1 / princ vs message ?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2017 10:29:30 -0400

> Besides for the possibility prin1 and princ have of printing to
> standard-output and not specifically to the echo area, what is the actual
> difference between the two and message ?

AFAIK the difference is that `message` knows a lot more about the
*intention* of the code (to display some informative the text as one
message to the user in the echo area, presumably related to something
that happened very recently), whereas princ/prin1 is not specific to the
echo area (e.g. doesn't know that it's meant to be displayed) and
doesn't know when the message starts and ends.

So I'd expect different behavior w.r.t message logging, or w.r.t
interaction between competing uses of the miniwindow (such as plain
`message`s, minibuffer input, eldoc, etc...), ...

        Stefan