Re: Native line numbers, final testing

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Native line numbers, final testing
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 18:13:23 +0100

On 4 July 2017 at 17:44, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Richard Copley <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 17:35:16 +0100
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>>
>> C-d 0 C-b C-n
>> C-d 1 C-b C-n
>> C-d 2 C-p C-p
>>
>> This is supposed to change the character at point to 0 and the
>> characters in the corresponding column in the next two lines to 1
>> and 2.
>>
>> I think that's a common use case and it won't work if
>> display-line-numbers is on ...
>
> Does it really not work for you with display-line-numbers on?

In fact it does work fine, when I test in a new Emacs session
which isn't affected by the bug I mentioned before.

>> Open xdisp.c and go to line 30, column 30.
>> Type "C-d C-n C-d C-n C-d C-n C-d C-n"
>> The first C-n goes to column 30 on line 31 as expected.
>> The 2nd C-n goes to column 29 on line 31 (expected column 30).
>> The 3rd C-n goes to column 28 on line 31 (expected 30 (or 29?)).
>> The 4th C-n goes to column 27 on line 31.
>
> I cannot reproduce this, I get column 30 all the time, as expected.

I can't reproduce it either, any more. Sorry about that, the recipe
seemed stable, but it didn't happen when I tried just now in
emacs -Q and no longer happens even with my usual customizations.

If I see it again _and_ find a reliable recipe, I'll get back to you.

> Are you running the latest branch?

I was -- it was from just before your latest commit (committer time 18:43).

> If so, what are the values of the
> related variables?

`display-line-numbers' was `t', `column-number-mode' was turned on
and every other relevant variable (as far as I know) had its default value.