Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 20:15:27 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm afraid that you guys are missing the point.  This has no relation
>> with the maintainer of Magit, but with the fact that Magit cannot be
>> distributed with Emacs.
>
> I'm afraid you're missing the point: distributing Magit with Emacs is
> not terribly important, compared to fostering good relationships.

This is your personal opinion, not the policy exercised by the Emacs
project on recent times (see bzr, clang for two glaring examples).

Besides, "fostering good relations" on this case is a bit of a red
herring, since IIRC the current Magit maintainer is quite collaborative
with the Emacs core maintainers and, anyways, enriching Emacs itself is
more important than having good relations with a single individual.

> BTW, if we want to distribute something like Magit with Emacs, there's
> no need to write a replacement: we can simply include Magit itself,
> since the license allows us to do so.
> The only hurdle is the one *we* (Emacs maintainers) put.

Was that hurdle put by the Emacs maintainer or by the GNU governance?