Re: Native line numbers, final testing

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Native line numbers, final testing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 21:24:53 +0100

On Fri 30 Jun 2017, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I've finished development of this feature and pushed the changes to
> the scratch/line-numbers branch.  "Visual" line numbers are
> implemented, and all the known bugs should be fixed.  I also added
> documentation.
>
> Please test and report any problems you find.  If no grave bugs show
> up, I will probably land this on master in a few days.
>
> Thanks to everybody who sent feedback and reported problems and
> feature requests.

Hi Eli,

I've tested this for a couple of days on Windows and it seems to be very
good, with clear documentation in the manual.

Oone thing I often find useful is to view absolute line numbers from the
whole buffer while narrowed to a region (e.g. a single function of a
source file). This can be handy to limit the portion of a file for
navigation while displaying line numbers that match logs produced by
external tools.

linum-mode can be persuaded to do this with a little extra code, but I
could not see how to do this with the new feature. Please indicate if
this is possible, or consider adding it as another way to display line
numbers.

    AndyM