Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: Toon Claes
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 10:46:18 +0200 (CEST)

Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:
> That is wonderful news! Were Magit a GNU project a few years ago...
>
> There are likely more than a few of us who have learned Git via Magit
> and for which we are grateful to Jonas and the Magit contributors.

Let me first say, I am not against making Magit a GNU project, in
contrary. But I think Magit would never have gotten such a vibrant
community if the project was hosted on Savannah, rather than on GitHub.

Having a more /modern development platform/, like GitHub/GitLab/Gitea/...,
makes it much easier for new contributors to participate on a project.

So making a project an official GNU project is two-fold. All the legal
paperwork would be in order for all contributors, but I seriously doubt
the Magit project would ever have reach anything close to the current
207 contributors.

I know this discussion has been raised several times before, but I
really would like to see GNU/FSF to adopt a more modern platform.

-- Toon