Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 02:01:55 +0300

On 7/6/17 7:02 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

When people ask here what they should do to use git with Emacs, the
usual answer posted is "use Magit".  Thus the problem: that the usual
way people recommend to use Emacs with Git is via a package we have
been unable to include in Emacs.

Even if we launch a successful GNU project that competes with Magit, *and* manage to more or less cover its feature set, it is highly unlikely to eclipse Magit by popularity. People will continue recommending Magit.

Instead, we should work toward getting Magit into ELPA, and continue improving VC and its Git support. It's a decent interface to Git already, and it provide a simpler workflow better suited for new users.