Re: VC menu ?

From: Homeros Misasa
Subject: Re: VC menu ?
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 13:29:20 +0900

How about to organize popup-menu? Popup-menu does not concern width.  I list my
special citizen (VC, iMenu, Buffer, Frame, Bookmark, and Recenf) in popup-menu
via right click.  Problem is, more work, members are getting closer to menu bar.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2017, at 9:50, Mark Oteiza <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 07:27:12 -0400 Mark Oteiza <address@hidden> wrote:
>> MO> Sarcasm aside, if you had ever flipped through the Emacs manual or
>> MO> scrolled through a list of keybindings, you would have been aware of VC.
>>
>> I think menu-driven UI discovery is fun and an essential part of the GUI
>> experience.
>
> I agree.  It's but one of many useful self-documenting facilities in
> Emacs.  Unfortunately the original poster thinks the others are silly and
> that the menu should spoon feed.

Not all the "others". I think your sarcasm is not smart and not relevant to the discussion, I also think (and I wrote) that it *is* silly to consider equivalent the VC menu and the Games and some other menus in the context of a development text editor where version control is a core feature. I also consider not useful the a posteriori exemples of "discoverability" that pop up every time there is a question similar to the one I asked. Discoverability should not be confused with exploration.

I do understand Eli's considerations about screen real estate though, even if I think with Ted and Oscar that VC should be considered a special citizen of the top menu. Now, if you have anything of interest to add to the discussion please do, otherwise I don't see much point going on.

Jean-Christophe