Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 14:27:12 -0400

  > Even if we launch a successful GNU project that competes with Magit,
  > *and* manage to more or less cover its feature set, it is highly
  > unlikely to eclipse Magit by popularity.

Maybe so.  But it doesn't need to do everything Magit does.  It only
needs to be good enough to make git easy to use in Emacs.

                                             People will continue
  > recommending Magit.

Maybe so.  But if Emacs contains something that is at least adequate,
most users will find it from the manual and other Emacs distro
contents.

  > Instead, we should work toward getting Magit into ELPA,

I am all in favor of that.  That is the best possible outcome.

However, developing something else should be plan B
if we can't or don't achieve that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman