Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 18:59:44 -0700

Richard recently suggested the idea of adding a notification message -- to
remain completely unobtrusive -- that would indicate to users installing
packages from MELPA something along the lines of:

    "We urge the developers of Emacs packages that are in MELPA, or
    that they hope to put in MELPA, to write to address@hidden
    about signing the legal papers to enable us to include them in
    Emacs or in the Emacs package library."

This message could remain on the screen for a few seconds, or until the user
types something else. The aim is to make people aware of the importance of
this in a gentle way that won't interfere with what they are doing.

First what do people think of such an idea, and second, does it sound like
something anyone would be interesting in adding to package.el, so more people
can learn about how to contribute to ELPA? I have a feeling that a lot of
package authors choose MELPA because the barrier to entry is so low, and they
may not realize how easy it is to get it into Emacs as well.