Re: Trying out GitLab (was Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit)

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Trying out GitLab (was Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit)
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 15:04:22 +0300

On 7/8/17 2:53 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

It's actually more than that: patches submitted to Emacs need to
conform to our coding and various other standards: include
properly-formatted commit log messages, documentation, and (where
appropriate) tests, etc.  Patch review could require cleanup changes
etc.

That doesn't negate the advantages of integrated solutions like GitLab, though. Emacs is not the only project with standards.

We often enforce those via code review, and GitLab helps with that.

People who find this too much of an effort should perhaps describe
their solution without showing any actual code, so that someone else
could implement it.

Relatedly, a friendlier bug tracker would go a long way as well.