In defense of VC [was: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit]

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: In defense of VC [was: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 03:01:30 +0200

>> For simple vc tasks -- and that typically equates to many things one
>> traditionally did in all VC systems, vc-git is what I use --- examples:

I agree.  VC stays out of the way, while Magit is a whole new interface,
and a modal one at that.  That's fine if you're doing complicated stuff
with your repository, but if you're actually programming and wish to
commit your work or check a diff, VC is much more streamlined.

> The main annoyance is that if I edit _more than one file_, and press C-x
> v v, instead of committing my all changes (or at least asking me about
> it), it only commits the changes in the currently edited file.

Yes, that's annoying.  You need to mark all the modified files in the
vc-dir buffer.  And I agree that VC should at least warn that there are
other modified files.  (I think this deserves a bug report.)

> I suspect that situation (with VC) is better now than a few years ago
> (e.g., AFAIK pushing/pulling is now implemented), but I haven't looked
> into it too much.

It's quite useful for everyday tasks -- committing, diffing and browsing
the logs.  For more exotic tasks (partial commits, browsing remotes
repositories, merging), I use Magit or the command line.

-- Juliusz