Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 05:29:14 -0400

  > WRT Richard's suggestion about a weekly notice when editing elisp files -
  > not sure if it should be all elisp files or whether it should be restricted
  > to files like *-pkg.el that are part of package.el packages?

This is not really about the activity of preparing a package.  The
point is to educate the community to think about legal papers when
they start to accept contributions to their packages from other
developers.

If people generally incorporate contributions from lots of other
people first, and only then prepare a package, then attaching this
notice to editing *-pkg.el would show it to them too late.

However, if people generally prepare a package first, and get offered
contributions afterward, then maybe attaching this notice to editing
*-pkg.el is a very good idea.

Which way do those things generally happen nowadays?

--
Dr Richard Stallman