Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:15:57 +0100

>   > And, having you as a single
>   > point of failure is not that scalable. Even if I get magit done, there
>   > are many other packages out there, and I am not going to do them all.
>
> We don't need a scalable solution for Magit.  It just needs to work
> for Magit,

No, I think this is wrong. Magit is just indicative of the more general
problem. We had the same discussion several years back about dash.

> If there are some other packages we would like to get into Emacs,
> we can handle them in a scalable way by finding, for each package,
> a different few volunteers to manage the process.

Finding new volunteers until they get tired of the process? We need to
simplify the process, and provide better support. I think we are working
through this, which is good.

> The better solution to this problem is to prevent problem cases from
> arising any more.  That is what the occasional notice aims to do.

There are 1000s of packages in MELPA. Even if the problem never happens
again, and even if we only want 10% of those packages, we still need to
make the process smoother.

Phil