Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Yann Hodique
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 09:48:17 -0700

>> Proactively contacting elisp developers to ask them if they would
>> consider a copyright assignment (mentioning the benefit of potential
>> bundling with Emacs, along with the rest of the implications) seems much
>> more OK to me.

> That would entail searching for people who are just starting packages
> and sending each one mail.  I agree it would give better results -- if
> we could do it.  But it would be a lot of work.  Who would do the
> work?  And how would we find people that are just starting
> to get contributions to their packages?

> It isn't better if it isn't feasible.

Well, one possibility would be to:

1. figure out where most of the code that ends up in MELPA lives (since
   it seems to be the target so far):

   ~/src/github.com/melpa/melpa/recipes master
   ❯ grep :fetcher * | sed 's/.*:fetcher \([a-z]*\).*/\1/' | sort | uniq -c |
sort -rg
   3393 github
    156 wiki
     44 git
     38 bitbucket
     26 gitlab
      9 svn
      4 cvs
      2 darcs
      2 bzr
      1 hg

   given that the wiki data is reachable from github (via
   https://github.com/emacsmirror/emacswiki.org) that means that at
   least 96.6% of the target is present on github one way or the
   other. I'm too lazy to extract real trends, but this share is
   slowly growing

   | 07/2012 | 07/2013 | 07/2014 | 07/2015 | 07/2016 | 07/2017 |
   |---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------|
   |    89.8 |    92.4 |      94 |    95.8 |    96.5 |    96.6 |

2. use the fact that github data is published weekly as a BigQuery
   dataset (https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/public-data/github) to
   perform fancy queries on it: like what are the emacs repositories
   that went from 1 contributor last week to 2 contributors this week,
   crosscheck with paperwork data and identify who to go after next.
   An example of what has already been achieved using those tools:
   https://kozikow.com/2016/06/29/top-emacs-packages-used-in-github-repos/

That's kind of handwavy and vaguely creepy (then again, any kind of
automatic detection of what I might be doing to "help me being a better
member of the community" is gonna creep me out no matter what), but most
of the data is definitely readily available.

Yann.

--
The worst sort of protection is confidence.  The best defense is suspicion.

  -- HASIMIR FENRING